Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Single or Divorced?


September 12, 2012



Whenever I had forms to fill out in the past it was always easy. I was always Mrs. Never Ms. And I always checked the married box with a smug attitude. See, someone loves me. Someone is thinking about me and maybe someone else is responsible for the bill. It made me feel protected.

But now, what do I check? I'm divorced but also single. Why do strangers need to know that instead of having someone waiting at home who adores me, I have been thrown into the discard pile? Can I still check single without feeling that I am deceiving people? Implying that I am carefree and maybe single by choice. Or am I lying by omission? Something I hate but put up with a lot during my marriage.

So I guess I will decide for each form. Depending on my mood that day. Am I divorced or single?

1 comment:

  1. My reasoning is: Divorced if keeping married last name
    Single if dumping his last name and going back to your maiden name

    Just sayin'

    ReplyDelete