Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Mums and Pumpkins

September 19, 2012



The official end of summer is this Friday. But really the summer is pretty much over here. Once school starts, even if you have no one who goes to school anymore, the summer is over for me. I always loved the start of school. Even when I was a student. The new clothes, new classes and teachers and the crisp fall air. When my kids went to school it was a relief to get back to an orderly life. No worries about how to entertain them in the summer or worry about what they were up to while I was at work.

But the change of seasons this year has brought about mixed emotions. All the memories that I have involve someone who is no longer here. The apple picking, cider donuts, hearty meals, and changing leaves will take on a new meaning this year. The first autumn as a divorcee. Hate that word.


Today I went to Home Depot to replace the fading summer flowers. I saw mums and pumpkins and bales of hay for the fall display. But I couldn't bring myself to buy them. I'm still getting used to spending the summer as a single woman. I'm not ready to make another change just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment