Friday, September 14, 2012

Senior Discount




September 14, 2012




A few days ago Hilary and I went to the Pancake House. We used to go there all the time when she was little. She would get the Funny Face pancake and I would get Cream of Wheat pancakes. Then they moved from the old location to Dixwell Ave. We hadn't been there since.

It was a spur of the moment decision. We got there and looked at the menu. One page had a senior menu. I thought "Thank God. I'm not old enough for that!" Then I looked at the top of the menu. Over 55. Again I think, thank god. But then I start to remember my birthday in July. I'm 56! I CAN order off the senior menu. "OMG, Hilary, I qualify for this!" I quickly turned the page to look at the other selections. I remember Bud, Margo and Annemarie's dad saying,"Put me in the meat grinder." In fact he would never ask for the senior discount.

Sometimes I wonder who the person is looking back at me from the mirror in the morning.  It certainly can't be me. I'm way younger than that. Most of the time I FEEL way younger than that. Except when I've had a busy day at work, or when I've been called in the middle of the night to report to work, or sometimes when I step out of bed in the morning on the ankle I sprained in June and find I that it STILL hurts! Then I feel fully qualified to order off the senior menu.


No comments:

Post a Comment