Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Sleeping with the Night Light On



November 27, 2012



Okay I'm going to come right out and admit that I am afraid of the dark. When Josh was little and we were alone at night and he thought I was fearless he didn't know I was just as afraid as he was. Or maybe he did. Hilary on the other hand IS fearless. She watches scary movies even when she is alone! I NEVER watch scary movies or read scary books because I know I will be in for weeks of sleepless nights. Listening for noises in the dark, setting the alarm in the middle of the day so I can take a shower and locking all the doors. Yes, Jocelyn, I know I go overboard.

So when Hilary works nights I sleep with the night light on in my room. Why I feel safe when my petite, little daughter is home I can't explain. Someone suggested I buy a bat and keep it near my bed (she has a bat called the Savage, but she is young and strong.) My friend, Red, suggested that by the time someone gets close enough for a bat I wouldn't stand a chance. Maybe pistol lessons are in my future. Maybe a Christmas present to myself.

Now I even keep some lights on downstairs at night. When I slept at Annemarie's during the power outage she had lights on downstairs all night. I thought it made the house look cozier. And lived-in. And  another added bonus, when I go downstairs at 5AM for work I don't have to worry about breaking my neck or god forbid re-injuring my poor ankle.

I'm probably never going to conquer my fear of the dark or sleeping in an empty house. But I have purchased a lantern and there are LED flashlights charging in every room. At least I'll be prepared for the next power outage! (Yes, Annie. I've learned my lesson.)


No comments:

Post a Comment