Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Yard Work





May 15, 2013


I know I've written about yard work many times. But it is a major thorn in my side! I love pulling up the driveway and seeing it look neat and pretty. I went to buy plants the other day and even though it is a little early I planted a rose bush, blueberries ( WHY?) and some small plants on the little slope at the end of the driveway. I always wanted to have plants there. I was so excited about my purchases.


I found the shovel and went to plant. That went fairly well. Except for the rose bush which I tried to plant at the side of the house but kept hitting something white. Was it the drainage pipe or a gas line? I didn't want to do something stupid so I came around to the other side. OK. Success. All the plants were in.


I should have stopped there. But I knew the next few days would be rainy so I decided to fertilize. I'd never done that before but there was the spreader. Is that what it's called? And there was the fertilizer. So I poured it in the spreader and off I went. But nothing was coming out. Is it supposed to be moist and gummy. I didn't think so. I stopped every few feet to unclog the opening until I was finally exasperated. So I started flinging fertilizer all over the lawn. I knew I shouldn't but I did. I just wanted to get it out of the spreader so I could be done.


I have to admit I cried a little. I felt defeated by the lawn. Why wasn't the spreader cleaned out from the last use? Why was I even stuck doing anything with the lawn? Why hadn't I just called Brian? But I cleaned out the spreader and put it away to dry. I will try again next week. But I will call Brian to mulch. I'm not crazy enough to do that myself!


No comments:

Post a Comment