Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Life Goes On




May 28, 2013



I have been enjoying a sort of mini vacation this weekend. And because I have to work Saturday I have today off as well. I decided to treat myself this weekend and pretend I was on vacation.


Friday, in spite of the dreary weather I met friends in Branford for Happy Hour. Donovan's Reef had great food in spite of the surly bartender and unhelpful hostess. But we had fun, Annie, Annemarie and Lauren. Yes, Margo's daughter is now old enough to join us for drinks. All the kids are. When did that happen? I loved seeing her walk in but I still think of them as little kids. Life does go on!


I went to the gym every day which was a good thing since I ate and drank with abandon. I planted flowers and herbs which is not something I enjoy doing but the yard looks so pretty and I love having fresh herbs on the deck. Basil, parsley, dill, thyme and this year I put mint on the deck. Leigh Ann has assured me I would like mint juleps and if I don't I can always make Mojitos. I went to brunch on Sunday at Splash in Westport. A really delicious buffet brunch and pretty setting. And good friends and  funny stories. Nurses really have the best stories!


And I had a cookout. Yes, I started the grill and put on the traditional burgers and hotdogs all by myself! Yeah. I did a great job on the burgers but Josh did push me out of the way to finish the hot dogs. And I made all the traditional sides. Potato salad, coleslaw, baked beans and this year fennel and orange salad. Thanks Anthony! I did have a few moments ( okay, maybe more than a few) of remembering other picnics with the "traditional" family but as I said, life goes on.


So, today I'm catching up. Cleaning, paying bills and going to work later to get ready for Epic go live on Saturday. Hoping as time goes on that next Memorial Day the feelings of loss will not be as great. After all, life goes on.







No comments:

Post a Comment