Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Nurses Week







May 8, 2013





I have always wanted to be a nurse. It's the only profession I ever considered, except for law. And that would have taken too much time. After all I wanted to get married to my "soul mate." I wanted to be Jesse Brewer. Who remembers her? I have never regretted my decision to become a nurse even though the soul mate part didn't exactly work out.


But when my daughter called me in her freshman year at college to tell me she wanted to switch her major from teaching to nursing I actually cried and begged her to reconsider. Nursing is hard. The hours are brutal, the physical part is tough and working with mostly women is not an easy task! You are constantly dealing with people who are in stressful situations. Staff as well as patients. You work weekends, nights and holidays. Sometimes even your birthday! Which I hate!!!


But there are few professions where you can make such a difference in someone's life. Even for a short period. To be able to ease someone's anxiety, relieve their pain and help them return to their lives is an amazing thing. I love working in the Recovery Room or, as it is now called, the PACU. The relief on the face of my patients as I lean over and say," Your surgery is over. You're waking up," is so gratifying. 


I'm not going to pretend that it is paradise. It is stressful and challenging each and every day. I am so proud of Hilary for listening to her instincts instead of mine. Even if there is a lot of truth to my warnings. Especially the one about snowstorms. You are never going to get a call to stay home! More likely you will have to get up even earlier than usual so you won't be late.


So, happy nurses week to all my fellow nurses. I am proud to be counted among you. Let's encourage each other and mentor new nurses. And let's take care of ourselves so we can care for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment