Friday, February 1, 2013

Sleeping in my Bed




February 1, 2013



I slept in my own bed last night after two glorious weeks away. I wish I could say it was better than the beds I slept in while I was away. It is so good to be home but I could have stayed in Thailand indefinitely. Not just because of The Mandarin Oriental (more about that later) but because of the country itself. Udon Thani is a wonderful city. The weather was perfect while we were there, warm but not humid. The people we encountered were genuine and loving. Dignitaries, staff, patients and families went out of their way to make sure we felt welcome and well cared for. The team I traveled with as well as the hospital staff was professional and low keyed and very good at what they do. It was a pleasure spending long days at work with all of them.

And the Mandarin Oriental in Bangkok for our post trip! Such luxury is unheard for me. From the boy who pressed the elevator buttons for me to the ones by the pool bringing me drinks and cold cloths, my every whim was anticipated. The fresh flowers and the scent of lemongrass everywhere. Breakfast by the river in the morning, happy hours in the Bamboo Lounge and the last night dinner at Lord Jim's were exceptional.  No deadlines, no place to be, no clocks! Heaven. It took a little of the sting of humiliation and hurt out of the fact that Dave took Anita Pedulla on a trip with these very same people in spite of the fact that it made for an uncomfortable situation for all concerned. But just a teeny bit of the sting. I will need many more visits to hotels like the Mandarin to erase the bitter taste I have when I think about so many of the things that transpired these last few years. But I must say this is a start. A very very good start.

Next week I will talk more about the mission itself. I met so many special people. It was an incredible experience.









No comments:

Post a Comment