Friday, February 15, 2013

USPS




February 15, 2013



I recently heard that mail delivery on Saturday will stop this summer. Why? I love getting mail. When the kids were little and I was alone with them all day and night seeing the mailman drive down the street was the highlight of my day. I would wait until he finished the street and turned around before I went out to get the mail because I didn't want him to think I had been anxiously awaiting his arrival. How pathetic would that seem?

But I still feel the same way about my mail. I love to get magazines and flyers. Even the stupid one. I really enjoy getting cards and letters. Yes I still have friends who send me personal correspondence via the USPS. My friends send me lots of cards and I never know what will be in the envelope when Margo's name is on the return address label. She makes handmade cards for me and uses calligraphy. Some are inspirational sayings  (which she thinks I don't appreciate ) and notices filled with things to do.

On Sunday I have the newspapers to fill the void of no mail. During the storm last week I read the papers on line because they couldn't be delivered and it was not the same at all. And even though the papers are getting smaller there is still nothing like spreading them out on the sofa in front of the fire. I was delighted when the newspaper and mail delivery resumed. I don't really know how the mailman is reaching my mailbox as I could only manage to dig out a narrow path for him. But what will take its place on Saturdays? No mail and just a regular newspaper. Woe is me.


No comments:

Post a Comment