Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Welcome 2013!!!



January 1, 2012



Jennie always used to sweep the old year out the back door with a broom. This year I wanted to hire a bulldozer! I made it home from work just in time to use a VERY big broom.


Please 2013, be way better than last year. Time has certainly made it easier to get up in the morning but has done nothing for the sadness that is constantly present. And from what I can see from my divorced friends that will always be a part of me. I am a different person from last year. Not better or worse but different. This will always be a part of my personality and color the way I interact with the world. Some days I am excited about the new things I've done and the people I've met along this journey and other days I long for my old life.

So if I could offer advice for anyone starting on this road it is "be good to yourself." Some days will be easier than others. Some days you will be sucker punched by emotion. The feelings of rejection and failure are sometimes as fresh today as they were a year ago. Cry if you have to or scream if that makes you feel better. Try not to do either one in public though! (I'm sure Target has my picture posted somewhere to warn their employees.)

Force yourself to go out and do new things and meet new people when you feel able. Listen to your gut and do whatever it takes to get through the day. You will be amazed at the support you will receive sometimes from the most unexpected places. Try to figure out what makes you happy and just go ahead and do that. And of course take care of your legal and financial issues as soon as possible. Cheaters never really change so don't expect to reconcile, no matter how much you try.

But above all, know that you will survive. You will join the human race again. You will laugh and be able to engage in life. You WILL have fun again. Take care of yourself. And remember looking and feeling good about yourself is the best revenge!!

Happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment