Friday, January 4, 2013

Verizon and Me




January 4, 2012



Yesterday I went to the Verizon store to grovel for a new phone. My iPhone was not a global model and I was worried about traveling so far away without my own phone. I thought my upgrade was due in February and I was going to make my best pitch for them to give me the upgrade early. After all I was going on a medical mission, got divorced this year ( and as Mickel very kindly reminded me I only have about 170 days left for that excuse), I needed to check on my sister and stay in touch with my kids. I was even willing to shed a few tears if necessary.

But I didn't need any of that. It seems one number was due for an upgrade this month. I am now the proud owner of the iPhone 5!!! Although the new connection is different and I can't fit it on my speakers or figure out how to connect to my bluetooth I will be able to text and call from Thailand. I felt a huge relief. I actually leaned over the counter and said,"I love you, Dave!" ( Haven't said that in a long time!) Then he ruined the mood by asking all sorts of questions I couldn't answer. "When was the last time you upgraded the software?" "Do you use iCloud?" "Did you back up your apps?" I finally said ,"I have no idea what you're talking about." He patiently tried to explain but I only smiled and thought, "Josh will help me when I get home." Saying goodbye to my old phone was bittersweet. It had gotten me through a very tough year.

Now I have Siri although I'm not sure how I feel about her. But I am soooo happy to have a phone I can use on my trip. Isn't it great, kids? Even when I am half way around the world I'll be able to keep tabs on you!


No comments:

Post a Comment