Monday, July 16, 2012

soft shell crabs

July 16, 2012


 I have to tell my soft shell crab story before the season is over. The difficult thing about divorce after so many years together is that ALL my memories are tied up with HIM. I was 17 when we met. I had literally spent almost my whole life with him. Someone told me I would make new meemories. And I know I will. But it will never be the same.

But lets talk about fish. No, this is not going where you think it's going. I'm not going to talk about the Big W. I am really planning to talk about fish. The kind that swim in the ocean.

Every year I wait for soft shell crab season, which usually begins in late April or early May. I have been known to call restaurants before going there to make sure they have them available. Whenever they are on the menu that is what I order. We often prepared them at home. They are easy to cook either on the grill or sauteed. Their arrival always signaled the beginning of summer.

 A few months ago I was in ShopRite buying groceries. I passed the fish counter and saw them in the case. Beautiful soft shell crabs. I immediately started crying. Right there in front of the fish guy. Should I buy two of them. How sad. Two lonely crabs. My daughter is a vegetarian. She would never eat soft shell crabs. I'll never have them again! I didn't buy them that day. I spent the rest of the time trying not to scare people in the store with my blubbering. I felt like I owed them an explanation for my behavior. Finally I paid for my groceries and went home. Spent the rest of the day mourning all the things I would never do because I was getting divorced.

 Two days later I went out to dinner. Guess what was on the menu? Gorgeous fried soft shell crabs!

3 comments:

  1. You can bet if I was back in CT, I would invite you to go with me to Glenwood Drive-in for a soft shell crab plate special, and then to Eli's for a drink!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill,

      What a great idea. But I usually have my cocktail before dinner!

      Delete
  2. OK... we would stop at the package store on Whitney Ave. and brown bag a bottle of wine while we drive on down to Glenwood!

    ReplyDelete