Friday, October 5, 2012

My Melancholy Baby



October 5, 2012



It's been a long week. I worked extra this week and my house is a mess. Maybe that's why I feel so "blue." What a strange word to describe sadness. October never held any special meaning for me so I don't understand the why I'm feeling this way. But I'm just going to "go with it."

If I have one suggestion for anyone going through this it is to be good to yourself. Sleep late if you want, say no if you need to, put yourself first for a change. Instead of thinking about what everyone else needs, think about what you need.

I remember back in December when I had to take a leave from my job. I felt guilty sleeping until 7:30 because I always get up early. But I DID sleep late for weeks because I needed to take care of myself. And now I realize that no one else will be looking out for me. So I feel acutely aware of the need to be responsible for my well being. Not just physically ( Okay, Annie, I know.... I need to get that cortisone shot in my foot. I'm working up to that! ) but emotionally as well.

Sometimes it is hard to do that. But important. Put yourself first for a change.

2 comments:

  1. Pleeeeze... do not feel "guilty". Sure, its a part of the whole Mom, nurse, care-provider, and (used-to-be) wife lifestyle and mind set we are apparently born with. Unless the Board of Health is at your door when you get home from work, or the filming crew from Hoarders wants to feature you in an upcoming segment, don't spend your weeekend "cleaning". Go for a ride to Putnam, visit Abigail's Jewel Box and buy youself an autumn treat! Or, just go for a walk along the Farminton canal in Hamden to Cheshire. Watch the squirrels... look at the colors. Sleep late, spend the day in your jammies! It's OK to be "blue". Remember when we used to get "cramps"??? They always went away and life went on. You will begin to enjoy the feeling of empowerment over your life as you continue to "recover".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill,

      Read your response in the grocery store and started crying. The lady in front of me couldn't get out of there fast enough. I never heard of Abigail's but I may have to check it out. I could use a treat.

      Delete