Thursday, June 20, 2013

Good Bye Tony




June 20, 2013



Tony Soprano, I will never forget you. You got me through the worst time of my life. I slept with you almost every night for months. You soothed my soul with your love of family. Only someone who watched the show could understand how a mobster could be so loved.


The Sunday dinners reminded me of my own upbringing. Sunday afternoon supper was sacred. The sauce, the macaroni, veal or chicken cutlets, meatballs and a big salad. Italian bread! You needed a REALLY good excuse to miss that day of the week. The loud fighting, throwing things and what I like to describe as passionale talking, which maybe only an Italian family could understand. How you could yell and scream at each other and then hug and kiss as if nothing happened? His insistence on respect for his family, twisted as it was, made me want to be a part of his orbit. Even as I watched the last episode I held out hope that he would return for another season.


So, Tony. Thank you for helping me to remember that family is everything. That I DID have a reason to get out of bed and get my act together. It certainly encouraged me to start cooking those old Italian dishes. And to hold out hope that I may someday meet my own "Tony."



No comments:

Post a Comment