Monday, December 9, 2013

Sundays in Winter




December 9, 2013



This is how I know that winter is truly here. Part of me wanted to call a friend and go to a movie but the other, the it's too cold out part, wanted to stay home and cook and get the house in some sort of order. Needless to say that part won.


I fed the birdies and the squirrels and vacuumed.  I made a chocolate bread from a recipe I found on the internet. I had zucchini in the fridge so I decided to make a frittata. Then I made dough for anginettes and finally tomato basil soup. As I said to Hilary this summer, "I don't really like to cook in the summer." She responded, "Don't worry, you haven't been." I wondered where that sarcasm came from and then I remembered. Oh yes, she is my daughter!


I think I've more than made up for my lack of summertime cuisine. I love to go out when it's warm. But when the days start to get shorter and it is FREEZING out there is nothing like some comfort food and a fire. Christmas carols playing on Pandora, my "Christmas at the Beach" candle burning, the twinkling of the Christmas lights on my mantle and the greenery outside. OMG Margo, am I getting sentimental????


I'm not sure there will be many more weekends to have a marathon day like today at home. The season is busy with long weekends away, cookie swaps and happy hours. But this became I day I thoroughly enjoyed.


 So much for cleaning as you go.
My reward after a long day. The newspaper, a fire and then my new show "Orange is the New Black"

No comments:

Post a Comment