Saturday, November 2, 2013

Trip Anxiety




November 2, 2013



I used to have a huge amount of trip anxiety whenever I was preparing for a vacation. "What if" was all I thought about. What if something happened to the house while we were gone? (Flood, frozen pipes, burglary) What if I left something vital at home that I needed? (contact lenses, glasses, underwear) What if something happened to the kids or my mother or sister? ( illness, accidents, heartbreak) What if the planed crashed, we were taken hostage, or got sick in a foreign country?


But my last few trips have been devoid of such worries. I have come to believe that I can handle almost anything. Having survived the fact that my life was completely altered has brought me a confidence I didn't think possible. I did have my doubts about survival at the time but I DID survive. And now I realize that I have coping skills I wasn't aware of before. I can take a step back and put most situations in perspective.


So this trip is mainly stress free. True, going to Turks and Caicos is not Uganda but that never figured into the equation before. We are leaving tomorrow and I'm still not completely packed but not worried about it. I have done all I could to take care of things here before I leave. Anything that happens while I'm gone will be taken care of when I get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment