Thursday, November 14, 2013

Local Harvest




November 14, 2013



This year Josh, Jocelyn and I participated in a CSA (community supported agriculture) from Hindinger Farms. This is the farm a few streets away from my house and the place I always go to for fresh vegetables in the summer. I was really excited for it to begin.


Every week we share a box of locally grown fruits and veggies. In the beginning we got strawberries, lettuce and spinach. Then green beans and blueberries. Kale was a big thing but I never did much with that. Peaches and apples and tomatoes. Then I got a big bag of Italian plums. I wasn't sure what to do with them but I wasn't going to let them go to waste. I looked up recipes on the internet and found a plum cobbler. I had my doubts about it but I went ahead anyway. It was delicious! Definitely something I would do again. Who knew plums could taste so good.


But the real challenge was the eggplant. Jennie was the eggplant queen and she always complained about how much work it was to cook. But since she is not around to make it anymore I decided it was time to conquer that dish. I called Annie, who called her mom, and I made their version of fried eggplant. Flour instead of breadcrumbs. I'm sure Jennie used breadcrumbs but I did what they suggested. I had so much I had to freeze some of it. But the rest I made into parmigiana. It tasted almost as good as I remember. Next time I will try the breadcrumbs.


So the CSA was a success. I made spaghetti squash and this week I'm going to try turnips. We only have two more weeks of produce but I am already looking forward to next year. A really wonderful way to support your local farming community.



No comments:

Post a Comment