Monday, October 14, 2013

eHarmony Dropout




October 14, 2013



Today when I get home from work I am going to cancel my subscription to eHarmony. My three month signup period will be over soon and I don't want to be automatically billed for another three months. I was a total failure at online dating.


I've spent some time thinking about the reasons for this fact. Is it because I said in my profile that I have kids? I noticed most men don't claim adult children in their profile. It's only when you read further that they mention them. Why? Adult or otherwise my kids will always be the best part of me. I can't imagine EVER checking a box that says I don't have them.


Is it because I am not attractive enough? I know I'm not a beauty queen but I don't think I'm that hard to look at. And judging from the pictures I've seen, George Clooney is not trolling eHarmony. I have noticed that most men in my age group are (according to them) 1. "Into exercise and outdoor activities" 2. Ride a motorcycle or have a sports car. 3. Any man who answered the question about their sex drive claimed theirs was "high." Really guys? If only I had invested in Pfizer or Eli Lilly stock. One man came right out and stated he wanted to date as many women as possible but most were looking for their "soul mate." Another one said the first thing people notice about him was that he was tall and good looking! Wow. What a catch.


Okay, so maybe it's because I am slightly cynical. But most of all I'm gun shy. When the person you trusted more than anyone in the whole world can spend years looking right into your eyes while lying it's hard to trust anyone else. I know I just have to start with a cup of coffee! But even that scares me.


So maybe it's not eHarmony's fault but my own. I guess I'm not really ready to market myself on line. I will go back to just hoping that, when I least expect it, I will meet someone who will want to have an adult relationship. In the meantime I will continue to sleep curled around my pillows.

No comments:

Post a Comment