Thursday, July 4, 2013

Rescue Me




July 4, 2013



"Rescue Me" was one of my favorite shows. I loved Dennis Leary and his character in that series. In the show he played an alcoholic firefighter post 9/11. Hard drinking and hard living but with a sensitive side few people ever saw. One line that stuck with me was, "We're running in while everyone else is running out."


Yesterday I read the same thing in the New York Times article about the 19 firefighters who perished in Arizona. Except for one person the entire crew of the Granite Mountain Hotshots perished in a wildfire. I hate to see those fires that are so prevalent at this time of the year. I love vacationing in the west and can't imagine all that land on fire. When Hilary and I were talking about a vacation this year one of the places always on our list is California. But we have been there so many times that we picked a different place this year. California was always one of the places I thought I would like to live. To see those awful fires just breaks my heart.


On this Fourth of July as we are celebrating with our families we should remember the people who are not so fortunate. People who risk their lives everyday just by going to work. People who are asked to run in while others are running out. Nineteen families whose lives have changed in a split second. So although again this year I did not make it to see fireworks I am lucky to be surrounded by all the people who are important to me.


Happy Fourth of July. Especially to all of you who are working today.



No comments:

Post a Comment